Wednesday, October 22, 2008







A Night in Japan

“Irasshai” is the Japanese term for welcome. When you dine at a fine restaurant like Benihana’s you're sure to get an astounding welcome. The Japanese cuisine Benihana’s has three locations in Novi, Troy and Dearborn, Michigan. I visited the Dearborn location on October 19, 2008 at about 5:30 p.m. Benihana’s serves two types of Japanese cuisine. Half of the restaurant is the grill side, where there is everything from teriyaki steak to chicken hibachi, vegetables, rice and all, cooked to completion right in front of you. In the middle of the restaurant is the sushi bar where you can watch five to six sushi experts prepare your meal and the regular bar.

Benihana’s is decorated in a modern Japanese style. On the outside of the building, there are brown walls with Japanese writing on beige panels. When you first walk into the restaurant, your greeted by a large, red Japanese decoration built right into the wall. The wall makes a bit of privacy between the people waiting for a table, and the people eating. Once around the wall, there are two sides, to the right and left are the grills and the tables around them. In between the grills and tables is the sushi area and the bar, with booths and seats at the sushi bar. Aspects like the Japanese decoration on the wall when you first walk in, and a similar design hanging above the bar and the sushi area are qualities that keep people coming back for more. The space creates a relaxing mood with the Asian ambiance. The light scent of cleaning products, lets you feel more relaxed about using a public restroom. You could feel the cleanliness of the dishes by the warmth of the plate on your table. Depending on whether you use chopsticks or silverware, the chopsticks are brought in a paper wrapper and the silverware in your napkin.

The food not only had a fresh look, it had a fresh taste. I had gone with my best friend and we ordered Las Vegas Rolls and Crunchy Shrimp Tempura Rolls. Las Vegas rolls consist of fresh salmon, avocado, cream cheese, spicy mayo and their topped with crunchy jalapenos, then the rolls are deep fried. The crunchy shrimp tempura rolls are made with shrimp tempura, freshly cut avocado, cucumbers, crabsticks and crunchy tempura crumbs rolled around each piece. The meal was simply delectable. All the food was scrumptious tasting and smelling.

The bill added up to about twenty dollars. Although the meal wasn’t much, it is a bit expensive for the average person. Each set of sushi, with about eight rolls, can vary anywhere from $7.50 to $12.25. For an appetizer like soup or salad you can expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $5 dollars. Entrees can range in price from $17 to $26 dollars. There are only two desserts on the menu. One is just ice cream with choices from orange sherbert to the classic vanilla for $2.75 and the other is banana tempura for $6, which is just a deep-fried banana.

Although the meal was great, the timing of the meal was longer than expected. To get our first set of sushi, it took about twenty-five minutes and for our second set of rolls, it took about fifteen. The staff was extremely nice and very helpful. Reservations aren’t required at Benihana’s, but they are highly recommended, especially on weekends. Depending on how busy the restaurant is, the time of your wait is unexpected. I can say that in the past, I waited about an hour and a half, without reservations, to be seated. I would definitely recommend Benihana’s to anyone who loves Japanese cuisine and sushi. It’s a great place with decent prices for any kind of occasion. Not only will I go back to Benihana’s, I’m going to try to at least go once a month. The atmosphere, food and staff, makes you feel like you spent a relaxing night in Japan.

16 comments:

ccas90 said...

The las vegus rolls sounded so good by your description, i want to try them! Also you gave good details about the cleanliness; like how the plates were still warm. A couple grammer things i noticed were that the comma could be omited from " A light scent of cleaning products, let..." and also from" and all, cooked to completion." Another thing is you used "your" insted of "you're". Other then that this was a well written paper that made the food and the service sound excellent!

Melanie said...

I've heard about Benihana before, but didn't really know what they served there. You gave a really good description! Watch that you don't use run-on sentences. Also watch how you use "your" as opposed to "you're", and be careful where you put commas, and that you don't use too many!

Jake said...

This sounds like a really good place if you like japanese food. Your description of the las vegas rolls was really good, and I could really see what they looked like. You had really good description of the restaurant, and f I ever want to try japanese food, I definitely would go there. You did a very good job in details for your paper.

Nichole said...

I have always wanted to try Benihana and your paper made me want it even more. Your descriptions were good and I thought you did a good job in giving a thorough review of the restaurant. You had a few grammar issues but overall it was a very nice paper.

Stefen said...

I really liked your title because it was unique and original. Your Introduction sentence got me hooked and kept me reading. I have been to the sushi part once before and really enjoyed the food. I also had to wait for each individual roll to come out, but regardless of the poor service the food was amazing. I can’t wait for the next time I go!

Sadako_Green & Blue Eyez said...

Benihana is my FAVORITE RESTAURANT of all time, so I can agree with you that the ambiance is somewhat inviting and relaxing. Although I didn't like the fact that you said it smelt slightly or litely of cleaning products. Service is rather slow, I can agree, but I would wait all day just for their chicken fried rice (If you ever tried it). Descriptions were overall good and thorough. Your food sounded tasty and interesting.

Saad said...

I liked your introduction using the Japanese word for Welcome. I have heard of Benihana's and my friends have tried it, but I have yet to experience it myself. From your in-depth description of the food as well as the interior, I feel compelled to to give it a try in the near future. I noticed a few minor grammatical errors that distracted my focus from the review, but other than that, I thought you did a great job.

AMF said...

I've never been to Benihana before but I've always wanted to try it. You described the food real well and made it sound like a good place to go to try Japanese food. I like the description of when you walk right in of the red sculpture in the wall that hides the rest of the restaurant from the people who just walk in. I noticed just a few grammatical errors like using your instead of you're and comma's that were misplaced. In the first paragraph you say "there is everything from teriyaki..." and instead of using there is, which just sounds like words to take up space, you could say "where you can find anything from teriyaki..." Other than that you did a good job making the place come to life in my mind which really makes me want to go there even more.

jtangggg said...

I hear of benihana's everywhere. I've been there once when i was young but don't remember much. You do a good job in describing the type of restaurant that it is. It brings back a couple of memories of when i went. In the beginning, you said that you went there at five-thirty pm, you should have used digits when telling time.

Liz said...

I have never been to this restaurant but I have been wanting to go for a while. You descriped the cleanliness, food, and appearance very well. I liked your topic sentance alot too! There were a few grammar errors though. There were a few sentances I didn't understand either such as: "The Japanese cuisine Benihana’s has three locations in Novi, Troy and Dearborn, Michigan." But besides that I think your paper was very well written.

Fly_Lik_Pigeons...WHOOOOOOOL said...

I always like restaurants that cook the food right in front of you, it gives you a sense that you are really get what you paid for. The fresh sea weed rolls looks very good, reminds me of what my grandmother use to feed me when I was young. You really did a good job describing everything making this seem like a four star place to eat.

Raina said...

My boyfriend and I are regulars at the Benihanna's in Troy. We usually get the teriyaki steak and chicken fried rice. Your description of the las vegas roll was very good, and having eaten it from Benihanna before i completely agree with you. I also agree with your description of the cleanliness, I have never been disappointed with how clean they are, or their food. Overall i think you did a very good job on your review and the pictures you incorporated.

Jen. RW. said...

I would usually hear about this place from friends, but I have never been there myself. Judging from your pleasant and well descriptive review, it seems like a place worth trying out. The food descriptions fit perfectly with the pictures, if anything, the pictures helped aid your descriptions and created even more appeal. The price range would also appeal to many. One thing I did find as a negative was the time wait. It doesn't seem like a good idea for people without patience to dine there. Overall, great review!

pat said...

The shrimp tempura rolls at Benihana are great! I usually sit at the grill side of the restaurant because I like the unique experience, but I have been to the sushi bar as well. You did a great job describing the atmosphere of the restaurant and portraying the semi-high class dining. The paper was really well written and you can tell you put some time and effort into it. I liked the fact that you told people what was in the sushi, a lot of people didn't explain their food that well.

Cathy said...

I loved your introduction to this essay. It really makes you understand what type of restaurant this is. I don't really like japanese food, but the way you described it makes me want to try it.

zcrissyz said...

There was a good interesting intro. You had a good description of what the place looked like, it was like walking through it. It sounded a little expensive. The only things were that i noticed that you didn't indent and i think Benihana's is a chain restaurant.