Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Advocating for Peace in the Middle East

Out of all the topics to choose from I wanted to choose something that was linked more to my community and to myself. I live in Dearborn, which is one of the most Arabic populated cities and I am of Arabic ethnicity. I chose to advocate for peace in the Middle East. Currently there is a war in Iraq and a war in Palestine, which affect my community and myself.
My community has already begun to advocate for both wars. In the summer of 2008, there was a protest of the war in Iraq in the streets of Dearborn and this last week there was a protest at University of Michigan Ann Arbor against the war in Palestine.
My audience for advocating peace in the middle east will be people that are unaware. The things that are happening in the middle east aren't always talked about on the news or realized by the "average Joe".
A challenge that I will have during this project is that there may never be peace. I think that because the middle east is so far away it may not do anything to stop fighting there but I think it will help people here realize what is going on. Then maybe the more people advocating peace, the more likeliness of something being done about it.

2 comments:

A'sha Hutchins said...

I think your reflection is really good. I totally agree with you on advocating war in the middle east. I may not be Arabic, but I do not agree with war in any form. There are even wars going on within our own country and people. One thing I would suggest is that you post a picture of the war so people can a clear view in their minds of how serious the wars are.

*T* said...

This is a strong topic to advocate for. I believe that there is a solution to everything, it's just that people don't make it easy to end war, ele it could've ended long ago. I agree that if there is an enormous amount of people grouping together against the wars, something could be done. I also agree on the fact that people should know why these wars have occurred, and what's happening inside the borders of those countries that we never stepped foot in. Your reflection was interesting. :)