Monday, November 10, 2008

Art Response

After watching sculptor Theo Jansen's presentation, I was astonished. I knew things like "Animari" would soon be invented by someone but not this soon. I think that the fact that he believes they will survive on their own one day is fascinating. The animals move themselves along gracefully just with the use of wind. They move like completely real animals. "Animali" is quite the break through in science.
The purpose of art is self expression yet a way to show others about you. My grandmother has been an artist for 60 years and everytime I look at any piece, I can see a piece of her. I also believe that the purpose of art can mean many things as well as self expression. Art could be to express feeling or as Theo Jansen used it to show his research. The way Theo used art was to show new technology to society. I don't think art has one meaning. I think the meaning of the art comes from the artist and their piece.

3 comments:

Stefen said...

I agree with your statement, “I think that the fact that he believes they will survive on their own one day is fascinating,” though I believe this to Improvable and highly unlikely. I also think of art as self expression. I liked how you described art as a “piece” of your grandmother.

Jen. RW. said...

I agree with you when stated that the "animali" is a break through in science. It really is an incredible creation. I also agree with how art does not have one meaning. There are various purposes of art. One of the main purposes I think is that it is able to reflect on the artist's feelings and emotions. Great response!

Raina said...

I also found the statement about how he believes they will survive on their own very fasincating as well. Part of this is because, I thought to myself, how can something that is not living, survive? Thats what made it interesting to me. I also believe that there are many purposes of art and no one should be able to call one thing art and another something else, it all depends on how that person looks at it.